-

1/21/13

Custom Silhouette Doggy Bag



Have you met Sadie?  She's a our pet Boxer.  She's family.  For 6 1/2 years now she's been a part of our lives.  For better or worse...just like marriage and kids.  


She's energetic, playful, loving and the best darn dog we could ever want.  (This statement does not cover the first two years of her life ~ when she made us the most stressed-out, reluctant dog owners around ~ until she matured and we figured out how to train her to be a good, obedient doggy.)

This is a painting I'm (still) working on, of Sadie as a puppy and Alexander, who was 3 1/2 at the time.

Sadie is a strong Alpha female.  She even lifts her leg to pee.  {Hehehe...TMI...I know!}


So this flowery bag just wasn't saying "Sadie" when we looked at it.  Maybe it would be more suited to a fluffy little Pomeranian or a dainty Poodle...not so much a buff alpha female Boxer with gender identity issues.


But this woven bag had been hanging out in the pantry storing extra paper bags.  Who needs a handsome bag shut away in a pantry anyway?  So I gave it some "Sadie" personality.


First I found this Boxer silhouette image online and printed it out full screen.  I just Googled Boxer silhouette...you can do the same for most other breeds too.


I used an Exacto knife to cut out the silhouette...creating a stencil.  I sprayed the back with Elmers spray adhesive to help it stick to the woven bag, then duct taped around the outer edges to hold it securely in place.  The spray adhesive did not stick well to the woven bag, so I made sure to hold the stencil edges down with my fingers while I did the painting.
 

I used white acrylic craft paint (to stand out against the dark bag) and a flat bottomed brush.  I don't have a stencil brush - that would have been preferable.  I loaded the brush with paint then tapped off any excess paint.  I started painting with the brush on the paper and gently dragged the brush in toward the center of the image.  This helped keep the edges somewhat crisp and the paint inside the stencil, where I wanted it.


I did the same on the other side of the bag once the first side had dried completely.  The front legs blended together a bit (you can see this below).  I simply used a brown Sharpie marker to draw over some of the white paint and give them better definition.



 Now Sadie has her own bag that is more suited to her (and our) style.  And it looks great hanging about.


What do you think of it?  Sadie seems to love it.  Storing her extra doggy treats inside helps!


We just grab it to take along whenever we are going on a dog outing.  It's wonderful to have a cute bag that looks good hanging around, at home or wherever we happen to be visiting.  

Sadie's bag holds the following supplies:
her raincoat 
a collapsible cloth dog dish 
doggy cleanup bags
bottle of hand sanitizer (for after cleanups)
leashes
brush
extra doggy treats
a travel container of dog food and a water bottle.  
It has room left over to add her blanket for overnight stays.



27 comments :

  1. That's a wonderful doggy bag. I'm still laughing over a gender confused doggy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's so true Mel, and I only told half of it! Let's just leave it at that ;)

      Delete
  2. You are so clever! This is a really fun (and functional) project! And here I am keeping Finns stuff in plastic shoe box! You've inspired me to take it up a notch! I love that last picture! Sadie is a cute on for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sweetie! Sadie is FULL of character, for sure. I'm just working my way around our house finding ways to make things more functional. Having the dog stuff stored in a bag takes the chore out of getting her ready when we're going somewhere. Just grab the bag and go!!! I'm all for making things simpler.

      Delete
  3. This post is hilarious! I love the bag and what a fantastic idea to keep all the doggy stuff in it. It looks great hanging there. And YOU are a great painter. Love the painting. How special that will be years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sherry! You are so sweet!!! I was a painting fanatic when I was young (and then kids and a job took over)...I would love to get back to a point where it is part of my everyday life again. Like breathing or eating. It takes me to a place where I don't feel like I have any worries.

      Delete
  4. So, so cute!!!! I LOVE it!!! That last picture is the cutest thing I've ever seen!! Cute post!! Thanks for linking it up!! Hugs!!! Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! I love your blog and am more than happy to link up whenever I can!!! Thank you for the sweet words. Hugs back!!!

      Delete
  5. Your little tote is adorable. I have three dogs and I always love cute dog projects.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this bag! I might have to make one for Ginger. Super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this - you know how I love boxers - so so cute! I miss my special dogs xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too cute, Sherry! I want to make one for Piper! Sadie's bag sure holds a lot of goodies! Thanks for the adorable, fun share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is adorable :) would love for you to share with my readers http://www.addhousewife.com/2013/01/pin-inspiration-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cool and creative, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a darling idea! You did such a great job! Cute, cute, cute....
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! She is adorable and I loooove your silhouette bag. It's perfect! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps. Sharing a link back in this week's DIY highlights!
    pss. Thanks for being so supportive this past week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this! Simple and turned out wonderfully. I have a Sadie, too - pom/westie mix. Lifts her leg to pee, too. ;-) Found you via tutorials & tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks fantastic!! Holy cow, I love it! And that painting is amazing, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely making this. I wish I could say that I had the talent to paint like you do, but I'd be lying! A tote bag I can handle. Sadie sounds like my Sophie. She's a Corgi, but she runs this place. We have three dogs so I'm a big fan of making things for them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Sadie bag. I got my Silhouette in late December, and haven't done a darn thing with it. My hubs keeps asking me I will? Your doggy bag is much more fitting for Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Sadie is a Good looking Pup! Yes yes! Really cute girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! And I love that Sadie has her own doggie bag full of supplies! So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute, Sherry! I also love that Sadie has her own bag that reflects her personality. Too cute - and she's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete