-

1/1/12

Family Name Established Sign ~ Old Windows




When my husband told me he was bringing home a bunch of these old windows, I seriously thought he had gone loco en la cabeza. 
But he said he had a vision for them.

This time it was him reassuring me of  the possibilities..the vision
I was the one waiting to see if he could take the image inside of his head, and create something new and valuable out of something discarded and unwanted.
He took this window outside and sanded off the numerous layers and colors of paint...so much history! 
Then he cleaned it up with a fresh coat of white and did a bit of distressing.  Simple.  Clean.
He added loop bolts to the top and then some chain for hanging. 

Why do I love the old, crusty hardware so much? 
I forgot to mention that he sprayed the chains and loop bolts with some metallic, oil-rubbed bronze spray paint, before attaching them.

Now it was my turn.

I cut out a surname and "established year", (this being the year of the recipients' wedding), on my die-cutting machine and applied the vinyl to the glass ~ being careful to get it centered and level. 
I did uitilize a couple of tape measures in this process...not rocket science.

The vinyl I used is a deep brown...it goes with the oil-rubbed bronze quite well.

This was an anniversary gift and the recipients have a wonderful covered, wrap-around porch that we were envisioning it hanging from. 

I can't wait to see it hanging at their home...next time we visit.


We already have three more requests for these...it won't take us long to use up these old windows! 

It looked really nice hanging from OUR front porch.  It is apparent that we need to make one with our name and wedding date also.  

We already have our fair share of white around here so maybe a hint of color...  Although, a nice black frame would like good too.  Hmmm, a pop of color...or something more subtle?  We'll have to paint a couple of these in various shades and see how they look.


What a great personal touch to an outdoor porch or entry.  The vision turned out very classy.  ;)

UPDATE:  Here's our very own Family Established Sign in pale grey-green!!!

33 comments :

  1. I want one of these!!! How wonderful!! You did such an awesome job :-) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously that is the sweetest sign EVER! I totally am on the hunt for the perfect window!!! Thanks for always inspiring!!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! I don't have a Cricut or an old window but just you wait! You guys are a great team! You really get me thinking...haven't done anything yet but I've been thinking a lot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project for an old window! I need to get one of those die-cutting machines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm now I'll be watching the trash piles for more old windows. Love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! What a wonderful gift idea! Bet you could etch them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a simple project but what a beauty! Good thing he grabbed those windows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really reeeeeeally love how you have this hanging on your porch to greet people. I might just have to do one of these for ours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! What a great gift! Please tell us more about your cutting machine! It handles this large a project?! Very cool. Thanks. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get going more on my old windows! I don't have any single pane ones like yours, but I am on the hunt for them! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I would love one also. What a treasured gift and what a lovely place you have created here. I hope twenty twelve is everything you wish for and more. Thank you so much for sharing. I will follow on my way out so I can revisit. I hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so want one, so simple, so elegant and so pretty. I love old windows, and have many single panes, so I'll be making one. Love your idea. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE it! Link it up to my linky party over at Small Moments! I know my readers will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat idea! Looks great.
    ♥linsey

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great use for an old window and a very thoughtful gift. We have a growing collection of old windows, just need the space to display them...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous name sign! Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I absolutely adore this. I've seen vinyl on windows before, but never hung outside like you've done. Love it!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I have repurposed a bunch of old windows too - I LOVE it!!
    Lindsay
    www.craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello - Found your blog via Pinterest - love the use of the old window - a friend and I started doing the exact same type of repurposing last summer when her parent got new windows. Only problem we have now..running out of holidays to make a window for!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah, I hear ya! We have tons of ideas pinned under the "re-create" board. If you haven't already checked them out you should. There is also a website dedicated specifically to the reuse of old windows, doors, shutters and other similar objects. I will have to look that one up. Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sign is incredible! I found you through Aimee at It's Overflowing, and I am looking forward to more ideas like this!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this sign. I will be featuring it tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this Sherry! Never saw this post...pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love those EST. Signs!! I got one..not a window..dang that is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I saw this floating around Pinterest, Sherry and I love it! I clicked over and of course it's yours. I love all of your stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sherry, Love this idea, I have some old windows that I will have to play around with. visit me on pinterest @ Tahlula's Treasures and check out my crafty creations board!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea! I literally have nine old windows in my garage right now just waiting for a quick and easy project like this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous...if only I could fins an old window!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! This would make a great wedding or anniversary present. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Could you take a guess at how heavy your pane is? I'm playing with the idea of hanging a large picture frame with just the glass (much like your project), but I'm concerned that it won't hold up. Also, what hardware did you use to hold it up?

    ReplyDelete