-

11/8/12

Award Winning Moose Munch Recipe



This is the recipe that won me the Iron Chef Mom award for the ingredient Caramel!


So I thought I would share the recipe again. 


We had some gourmet popcorn that had been gifted to us so I used that.  We also have a really cool WestBend Stovetop Popper that I love.  I couldn't find the directions so I looked up the manual on line.  (I love that you can do that)

To use the Stovetop Popper:  Put 2 Tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup of popcorn into pan.  Heat to Medium-High and start turning the crank.  Continue turning the crank rapidly the entire time.  The popcorn kernels start exploding in no time, filling the pan.  It takes 3-4 minutes for the popcorn to be done.

Transfer popcorn into a large paper bag, making sure to remove any unpopped kernels. 


Microwave Caramel Corn {click here for printable recipe}

Here's what you'll need:
3-4 quarts popped corn
1 stick of butter (no substitutes!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Karo Syrup
1 tsp baking soda - add last


Place stick of butter, brown sugar, salt and corn syrup into microwave safe glass bowl.  Place in microwave and heat on high until it comes to a boil.  Times will vary by microwave so you will want to watch it closely.  Once it comes to a complete boil remove from microwave and stir. 

Return to microwave and cook for 1 minute. 

Remove, add baking soda and stir well.  Mixture will thicken and lighten in color.  Pour mixture over the popcorn inside the paper bag. 

Fold the top of the paper bag down several times to close~  then shake, shake, shake! 
(Go ahead, play some Zumba music here!) 
Shake really well to distribute the caramel and coat all of the popcorn. 

Place entire bag of popcorn back into the microwave and heat on high for another 1 1/2 minutes.  Remove and shake some more.  (Cue Zumba music again)

Once cooled you can pour the popcorn onto cookie sheets and break apart:



Moose Munch Recipe  {click here for printable recipe}

Here's what you'll need:
Caramel Corn (see recipe above)
1/2 bag (or more) mini marshmallows
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup (or more) dry roasted or honey roasted peanuts
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Caramel corn should be broken apart and spread out on cookie sheets. 

Sprinkle mini marshmallows and nuts evenly over the popcorn.

In a glass container mix chocolate chips and vegetable oil.  Heat in microwave for 1 minute intervals.  Remove, stir and repeat until melted completely. 

Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn, marshmallows and nuts.

Allow to cool.  (I put mine into the refrigerator for a few minutes). 


Break into smaller chunks and enjoy!




Makes a great treat for movie night.  It's a family favorite around our place.  Of course, the caramel corn alone is delicious. 

BUT 

If you want to treat someone to something extra special....


I crafted this little tag...

...perfect for adding to little brown bags and sharing!!!



Now you know my Award Winning MOOSEMUNCH Recipe!


ENJOY! 



     Image Map


22 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh - just YUMMO!!!! It would last exactly 2 seconds in my house - I am going to have to give it a try this Christmas Sherry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'd love to have you join my Pin Me Linky Party because this looks delish! I'm going to pin it now! I am following via GFC, Facebook, & Pinterest!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network
    Link Rink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up. I've got to pay more attention to this Iron Chef Mom thing. I entered one week but then I couldn't find it next! LOL!

      Delete
  3. I live in Alaska and was looking for a recipe that had " abmoose" theme. This is perfect! Thank u so much .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came by to see this delicious dessert and was SO EXCITED to see your Iron Chef Mom button! Congrats; what an honor! :) I must try this Moose Munch recipe this Winter; sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing this on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes this week! We love having you join us! Have a great week!
    Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a Featured Favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! We love having you join us and can't wait to see you this weekend!
      Mackenzie :)
      cheeriosandlattes.com

      Delete
  5. You have given me a reason to ignore my orthodontist and eat popcorn. This looks so good. Thank you for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! This looks so good!!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm-yum! I can see some Moose Munch Christmas presents coming! Thanks for sharing! Linda @www.paperseedlings.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really yummy!!
    New GFC follower from Mom's Test Kitchen.
    Erin
    http://homecookedgourmet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on through tomorrow night at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so yummy, sinful, but yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely making this as gifts for my coworkers! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a sucker for special popcorn recipes and this one looks amazing! Thank you so much for linking up to the Holiday Heirloom Recipe party today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally drooling looking at your recipe. That looks sooooo good. Thanks for sharing on our Holiday Sweets Round Up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - I used you recipe today to make a batch of the Moose Munch. That has got to be one of the easiest Caramel Popcorn recipes I have ever made. And if I'm not mistaken, I could cook it less if I want a chewy/soft caramel popcorn even. My husband even enjoyed it and he normally isn't a huge fan of caramel corn. WIN! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I want to try this (first time) to make Christmas goodies for coworkers and friends. I'm thinking you must shake it in a paper grocery bag, not the microwave popcorn bag, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello - I'm excited to make this and package it up for Christmas treats to give :) Do you know how long this will keep in an air-tight container? Thinking of making on Sunday and giving on Friday, but don't want to not taste amazing if it's done too early. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete