I was drawn to this dish because of how amazingly simple it is to make...and it's Italian...and it has asparagus...and olive oil...and it's a one dish kinda meal (I really like those kind!). PERFECTO!
So simple to make you won't believe how deliciously satisfying this is!
1 lb. Trottole Pasta
1 lb. asparagus cut in to pieces about 1.5 inches long
1/4 to 1/2 lb. thin sliced deli ham ~ Prosciutto would normally be used but this is the poor man's version ;)
2-3 medium ripe tomatoes sliced into thin wedges
1/2 cup olive oil (I use 'rich in flavor' EVOO)
2 T. lemon juice (mine came right out of that cute little lemon shaped bottle)
3 T. fresh basil chopped
Parmesan Cheese to taste
- Cook Trottole Pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking saute asparagus on medium high heat in 2 T. EVOO for a couple of minutes max.
- Tear ham into bite sized pieces and throw in with asparagus for one minute to bring out it's flavor.
- Add asparagus, ham, tomatoes, basil, remaining olive oil, lemon juice and lemon pepper to drained pasta and toss to blend.
- Add parmesan to Trottone and serve in shallow pasta bowls.
This was our first time trying this dish and as we finished eating my man exclaimed "That was one darn good meal!" The little man dished up his own but left out all of the asparagus, tomatoes and ham. All the good stuff, am I wrong??? I asked him to give it a try with more than just pasta and he did. "I really like it!" he proclaimed when he was done with his second helping ( this time he included all the ingredients except the tomatoes. Choose your battles wisely, right?).
These past few weeks have been extremely challenging. I've been job hunting and dealing with some medical issues that needed dealing. All around it's just been a crazy, hectic, unsure time and it was wonderful to share this delicious meal with my family and now you. I hope you give it a try!
Whatever challenges you may be facing lately, I hope you are still able to enjoy the little pleasures found in everyday life...