-

2/1/13

Is The Glass Half Full or Half Empty?



Alex brought me a half filled glass of water to take some ibuprofen this afternoon. For some reason it struck me that he always brings me a half full glass...maybe so he won't spill it on the way.  I asked him if the glass was half empty or half full. He was clueless as to the meaning behind the question and said matter-of-factly, "It's half full". 



I asked, "What do you think it will look like when it's half empty?" 



He looked at the glass...started to draw a line half way down from the top of where the water came to and the bottom of the glass...paused...then looked at me with a funny expression. "Mom, it's the same thing! Why would you even ask that???" 

So I dutifully explained the meaning behind the age old "half full/half empty" question.

This optimistic versus pessimistic philosophy was almost lost on him, being that he's only 10 and his version of the world is still so sheltered, so I pointed to his knees.

"See your muddy knees?" I said. "Ya" he grinned. 


"Well, I choose to look at those muddy knees as an indication that we are blessed with an active, athletic boy who doesn't waste a single moment of recess or play time, but instead runs straight out to the wet, muddy field to play sports with his buddies, keeping healthy and strong, and staying out of trouble ~INSTEAD~ of just seeing the soiled laundry I will have to do and the cost of jeans and tennis shoes you go through so quickly." 


"Ah" he said with a big goofy grin..."just as long as I don't get mud all over the house!" 


Seriously.  


Hahaha!!!!



And yeah, I'd appreciate it if you kept the mud outside :)

(photo taken by our friend Julie.)

12 comments :

  1. What a sweet moment with your son. What a great way to explain optimism and how wonderful that he already knows that the mud needs to stay outside. I love the way my kids had such a literal look at the world. I tend to be fairly optimistic myself so I answer the question by saying that I am just thrilled to have a glass.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exacty Traci, we are lucky to have the glass! That goes for wine glasses too because my son might start wondering about me if I had to drink right from a wine bottle...lol! (Just between you and me he's still working on that mud outside thing).

      Delete
  2. I love this post! You have made my day and made me miss my little boy who is now all grown up!
    Have a great weekend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Cynthia! And I know what you mean...my daughter is 22 now. I look at my 10 year old and wonder where my baby went...
      Have a beautiful weekend!

      Delete
  3. A precious moment! Wow! You look too young to have a 22 year old. I have 4 children -21,17,10, 8. Whew! The older I get, the faster time is flying. Our 8 year old IS the baby. I totally get the whole last child being the baby thing. I love the muddy picture of the kids. Priceless! I'll have to try the half empty/half full thing on my kids. An interesting way to find out there perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful perspective! Lovely that you're teaching it to your wonderful boy! I'm just twitching over the thought of that mud even at my door step!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I love those teaching moments when you end up with a new insight as well! Great lesson, I'll have to remember that one for my son.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my - that's a lot of mud! Such a cute wee thing though - and very bright.

    Thanks so much for linking up :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to look at everything with the glass half full...some days it's easier than others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just hear my own son saying "MUST you make a lesson out of everything?"
    But you know what? That talk will stick with him! Just like the mud never comes completely out of denim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww....I love those muddy knees, muddy boys and this post! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great great post.I will have to ask my 10 year old about this same thin and see what he responds. I always think of the glass as half empty - I am a FOREVER pessimist.
    ugh!

    ReplyDelete