-

11/27/11

Cabinet Door Turned Tray




I hope everyone had a fun, family, friends and food-filled Thanksgiving holiday!  We enjoyed our time back in my hometown with some amazing family and friends.  Couldn't have asked for more.  So thankful for all of the blessings in our lives.  On our way out of town we stopped at a couple of thrift stores to see if they had anything we needed for our projects and Hallelujah!  Check out these finds:
Cushions just perfect for our new Entryway bench {$1.00 each}:
These will eventually be recovered but I may leave them this color for the Christmas Season :)

I found a piece of fleece {50 cents} ~ I think it makes an adorable Christmas table runner.  I may just swoop it up and wear it as a scarf though...can't decide.  ;)  What do you think?

And here it is on the table:



See those flowers?  I wandered aimlessly around Michaels on Black Friday for about an hour ~ carrying silk flowers that I wanted for Christmas decorating but I just couldn't justify the price.  (Might have been something to do with the lack of sleep!)  When we stopped at the thrift store I found these beauties for 25 cents!  I have never been a big fan of fake flowers but these are gorgeous and who has a fresh flower budget anymore???  That adorable metal tin in the background that says "merry" was only 49 cents.  The cranberry garland in the picture below was 75 cents per garland and the white cookie-cutter ceramic ornaments were 50 cents each after the 50% discount at Michaels!  Those and the clear "glass" ornaments are all I ended up buying at Michaels after all of that wandering...they were completely sold out of vinyl for my Cricut and their selection of Cricut cartridges was sad.  I'm so disappointed.

It's beginning to look a little like Christmas around here...

Look at those flowers!  SCORE!!!


I finally got around to working on one of my cabinet door upcycles today.  My Treasure Hunter Hubby went out a few weeks ago to check out an old 1930's radio cabinet listed on Craigslist and happened upon an amazing find ~ some unfinished  blank canvas, cabinet doors of varying sizes.  What a treat!  Now we are in the brainstorming and "recreating" phase with these doors.   What can we create!?  This is the fun part for me!  I have tons of ideas pinned on Pinterest and I'm just dying to try them all out.  Not enough time in the day.
Well, there was a cabinet~door~turned~tray that was one of the first things I pinned on Pinterest and I have been working on my own version. 

Here is my inspiration piece from the CraftyNest:
Check out the full tutorial at:  http://www.craftynest.com/2008/12/salvaged-cupboard-door-serving-tray/

And here is what I've been working on today:

Cabinet door with white paint  (clearance pulls found at Lowes)

I cut my design out of cardstock on my Cricut Expression die cut machine.
I used homemade "mod podge" to attach my design to the surface.





The knobs are not even attached yet because I'm too lazy I don't feel like venturing out into the rain to get the drill out of the shed.  I will poly the entire tray for durability (maybe when I get around to applying poly to the table and chairs, right!?) 

For now it can sit there and look pretty while I go read the directions on my wainscott wallpaper!!!



Happy Sunday Friends,
Sherry




17 comments :

  1. I like the fleece on the table, then after the holidays you can wear it around your neck. How's that sound. Love the cabinet door as a try. I just bought some clear ornaments, will be playing with those, and love the red inside yours. Really pop! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best. Now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea, I do love your tray, like you I always have those lazy days (smile). Using a door for a tray is clever. I'm a new follower, please drop by when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds Sherry,enjoy seeing all the new idea's you've come up with.Even your fake flowers look great with the runner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great buys! Love the runner and you did a great job with the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea! Now I wish I had some old cabinet doors laying around. I will just have to keep my eyes open for some.

    Thank you for sharing with us! Found you via lik party. :o)

    http://justagurlintheworld.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-make-custom-wall-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! I love the black on white. And your 25cent flowers look just as good as $20 ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tray! It turned out awesome!! I would love for you to share it at my linky party going on now at The Inspired Collection! Hope you will stop by!

    Kelli
    www.theinspiredcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. it turned out so beautifully! and i would love a glass of the wine, too please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dude, I'm totally doing that. That's awesome! Okay, I'm at least pinning it. :) Also, it's closed for this week, but if you can remember for next week I have a trash 2 treasure party every Tuesday on Kammy's Korner and this would a great fit! And anything else you have that would fit that category....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I love it :) I'm already brainstorming how to do this project myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tray --- it looks so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.
    Blessings, Becky
    www.fromgentogen.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm!!! I'm glad you guys like my tray :) I think I will make a special tray for my Dad for Christmas, maybe with his last name on it. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tray. Such an elegant addition to any decor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I featured your tray this week! Come by and grab a button! Thanks!

    Kelli
    www.theinspiredcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely beautiful. I love the black and white color scheme and that damask pattern is perfect. So glad you linked this up to BeColorful's Motivated Monday. Welcome to the party.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete