-

9/21/12

The Happiness Agenda ~ The Definition of Happiness



      Definition of happiness

Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.  A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources. Various research groups, including Positive psychology, endeavor to apply the scientific method to answer questions about what "happiness" is, and how we might attain it.
Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion.


Balloons are almost a guarantee of happiness with children.  Happy Children = Happy Me


Happiness is the easiest emotion to feel, the most difficult to define, and the hardest to create intentionally.  ~Norman Cousins
Being caught up in a moment of pure abandonment while playing = happiness.  Leave it to balloons!


The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.  You have to catch it yourself.  ~Ben Franklin
Getting surprised with a special treat for a special occasion...Mmmmm...sweet happiness.

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.  ~Charles Haddon Spurgeon



How will we catch onto and hold happiness?


Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.  ~Aristotle
source: http://www.behappy4life.com/happinessquotes.html


Post-its for my next project. 
Being organized and on top of things definitely brings me happiness.

Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. 
~Franklin D. Roosevelt


 * Sneak Peak *
Finished projects make me happy...especially if the project helps me be more organized.


happy  (ˈhæpɪ)
adj  , -pier , -piest
1.
feeling, showing, or expressing joy; pleased
2.
willing: I'd be happy to show you around
3.
causing joy or gladness
4.
fortunate; lucky: the happy position of not having to work
5.
aptly expressed; appropriate: a happy turn of phrase
6.
informal  ( postpositive ) slightly intoxicated



What makes you happy?
I hope you are touched with many moments of happiness today and all through your weekend!


3 comments :

  1. My kids being happy makes me happy. Getting and staying organized would make me very happy!!! I am drowning in things to do. Oh and going thrift store shopping makes me soooo happy. Going tomorrow. Oh happy day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry you are such a great writer! You're pictures are so fun to look at too. I have spent a lot of time thinking about happiness lately and I have to agree with you...being organized is one of my top ones, watching my grandchildren be happy is another one. Watching the stars at night makes me happy. I also like walking in the woods. Almost everything about nature makes me happy....snow most of all!! What a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete