-

9/30/12

Inspiration Cafe's 1st Guest Post ~ Welcome Mellywood's Mansion!

Evening All,

I'm Mel and you can usually find me at my blog Mellywood's Mansion, where I fumble my around the house trying my hand at DIY.  Sometimes I do well and other times I don't. Almost every project comes with a story, which, between the lines reads, I really shouldn't be legally allowed to call myself a DIY Blogger.


However I am so excited to be serving up some fun for you here at the Inspiration Cafe, and I'm not going to lie, the whole thing has left me a nervous wreck.

On the menu today, is my ruffle scarf specialty.

I'm going to confess, I love scarves, fabric scarves are pretty but I love nothing more, than buying the latest winter yarns and click-clacking up some fun.

My latest obsession - The Ruffle Scarf.



These scarves look amazing and are so simple, even if you are a beginner knitter you can whip one of these up in a jiffy.

Supplies:
1 ball of yarn (there are many different brands, but research suggeststhat Boutique Sashay Yarn can be purchased anywhere. I found it for sale here ) I used a $2 ball I found in store at Riot.
6mm needles or Size 10 for the U.S.

Now the instructions can be very confusing, if your lucky enough to get them, but it's really simple. So beware lots of pictures, but once you get it, you'll be pumping these out by the dozen.

Casting on, now this is where it is different than your normal knitting, first you need to pull apart the wool, like this. Don't try to do the whole ball, just do it a bit at a time


Then, leaving a very short tail (about an inch - 1.5 inch) weave the yarn through every SECOND hole, at the top of the yarn. The top is the side that does not have a nice finished edge. So basically there is no yarn over, it's just putting the needle through the ready made holes.


Do this until you have 6 loops.


Then grab your second needle and just like you would normally knit, put the needle in your right hand through the first loop on the left hand needle. Leave a one hole space and place the next hole onto the right hand needle like so.



The pull it over the top of the loop, as you would do when knittingwith regular yarn.


Repeat this, and every few rows gently tug on the scarf, this pullsout the ruffles.


Don't be too concerned if your yarn rolls, like this


Continue until you have approximately 10 inches of yarn left


Cast off using the same method, knit two loops, then take the 1st loop (the one furthest from the needle point) and lift it over the 2nd loop and drop it off. Continue to the last loop. Then grab what's left of the tail, bring it through the last loop and tightly tie it off in a knot - this will be hidden by the last ruffle.


Trim the tails, hold it in the middle to make sure the ends are even,and there you have it, one ruffled scarf.



Now I'm not going to lie, I have about 6 of these in all different colors, Love them!

Here's the blue one.



Thanks for reading and to all the ladies from Inspiration Cafe for having me. I must go now because apparently I have to wash all the coffee cups, left sitting on the table, here at the cafe.

Mel xo



Photobucket

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for having me, Sherry! I've enjoyed being here at the cafe and feel honored to be your first guest poster xo

    ReplyDelete