-

1/8/12

Pieces of my Heart

I've always admired people who decorate their home for all of the seasons and holidays.  (How do they manage to find the time, the energy, the inspiration, and the storage space for all of those extra decorations?)


I only dream of being that organized and motivated. There's definitely not a shortage of ideas floating around in my head (and the magazines, catalogs, Pinterest and Blog-land).  It's just that...well...I'm busy.  I have more pressing things to deal with.  Like:

  • Making dinner.  "What's for dinner???  and lunch, and breakfast, and snack, snack, snack?"...
  • Going to the grocery store to get dog food for my pooch, Sadie (hopefully before she strains a muscle in her throat from whining so forcefully)?
  • Washing, drying, folding and if we are lucky, putting away umpteen loads of laundry.
  • Keeping the house somewhat clean and organized.  I say somewhat because I am no miracle worker.  I just am not really fond of clutter and (prepare yourselves for a dirty word) ~ dirt.
  • Planning activities for the week to keep the toddlers and preschoolers engaged, challenged and content. 
  • Planning activities for the week to keep my husband engaged, challenged and content.
  • Chauffeuring my little athlete to all of his sporting events, activities and play dates...to keep him engaged, challenged and content!
  • Paying the bills.  Yuck.  :(
  • Working on a myriad of DIY & Decorating projects (to keep myself engaged, challenged and content).  :)  Yay!
  • Making time to spend with friends and extended family because I miss them all so much.

So, theme decorating isn't high on my list of things To Do.  Not to mention, I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to store all of the out of season decorations?  Would we rent a storage unit???

Honestly, I feel lucky when we get the Christmas crates down from the attic space.  And, then I feel lucky again when we manage to box it all back up and get it up that ladder and into it's 11-months-out-of-the-year home, nestled among the rafters, insulation and cobwebs.  I refuse to go up there.  My life would be so different without Scott in it.  I'm so lucky.  He is amazing.  Don't get me wrong...I am very capable and independent.  We just have this unspoken agreement (like many couples I'm sure) that certain tasks are mine and certain tasks are his.  Mine fall into the shopping, cooking, cleaning type categories and his fall into the ladder climbing,  light bulb changing, fence fixing type categories.  Go figure.   It's like Happy Days around here.

But this little blog is edging both of us outside of our comfort zones.  It's challenging us to push ourselves further than we normally would in our everyday dealings.  And here is how I know...

This morning when I took the old photos down from the cork board and started adding the new ones I was struck with inspiration.  (Don't get all excited, I can't take credit for this idea...I've seen this done in some form, somewhere ~ in one of my magazines, catalogs, Pinterest, or while blog surfing.)  But that's not the point.  We have some creative genius...stick around long enough and you'll see, I'm almost promising!  I'm guessing that 99.97 percent of what we do is some form of imitation...greatest form of a compliment and all...yada, yada...

THE POINT IS that I took the time and intentionally added a theme as I pinned all of the new school pictures, snapshots and Christmas card photos to the cork board...placing them with love and care in the shape of a heart.  :) 

If you don't see yourself in this photo collage, maybe it's time for you to give us a new photo of yourself???
1.
Pin It

So many of the people we love...it makes my heart do flip flops :)

This board is right next to the front door in our entryway...you can see the entry shelving we've recently finished.

Well, Scott finished his part, but I still have a cushion cover to sew, and maybe some paint touch up here and there...

But that reminds me...I never really showed you the crazy awesome thing about these entry shelves...the bottom doors open up like a bin and we place our shoes in there when we come in.  Then we close them up out of sight!

I'm not fond of a big pile of shoes right inside the front door so this was the perfect solution.  This is Scott and Alex's side.

And this is Vanessa's and my side.  Those are my new Sperry loafers.  I got a gift certificate for Christmas and picked these puppies up at The Rack.  They remind me of Junior High School and "boat shoes".  If any of you remember those days! Hahaha


May your heart and home be filled with love!

Sherry



10 comments :

  1. Your entry way shelves are wonderful, so handy for everything that your family needs as they head out the door.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if you'd covered the cork part with something red, white or pink, you could TRULY say that you decorate for the seasons! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just not ready for that much decorating. Baby steps! AND NO BIG RED BOARDS in the entry! I'm hoping the heart speaks for itself. I like the texture of the plain corkboard :). Utilitarian. I do like idea of covered boards and have one in another room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pinned it and love the picture heart - I think I'll be doing this on my entry wall - it's been needing something special! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that entry organization is amazing, and this heart idea is perfect for v's day without being so extremely themey. i love this idea, i think i have it pinned, too. way to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the heart idea! My kids would love this.

    I'd love to invite you to share this on my Thingamajig Thursday party going on now.. http://radcrafter.com/2012/01/thingamajig-thursday-party-10/

    Alida
    radcrafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are clearly displayed with love! And I need a spot for shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great share of the idea with the photos. I love where you put your shoes. I hate clutter and it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You clever creative girl and really so much more fun than "what's for dinner" :0 Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing last week on Thingamajig Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!

    Alida
    radcrafter.com

    ReplyDelete