-

1/30/12

$25 Laundry Room Makeover Reveal


Who knew?

We purged,
We donated,
We evicted,
We cleaned,
We painted,
We flooded,
We sawed, hammered, nailed and screwed,
We stained,
We sewed and stapled,
We arranged.
But most importantly~
We beautified.

And the final result may not be worthy of a magazine...but...

Oh the joy it brings!



So much came out, but we were very careful of what we put back in. 

We wanted this space to be:

Open 
and Cheerful.  (I think we succeeded.)

Fresh
and Clean.   (Just look at all of that fresh, clean, organized goodness!)

Light
and Bright.  (No more stacked washer and dryer blocking the window or ceiling light.)

Citrusy
and Beachy.  (Like sipping lemonade while lazing in the sun on the beach.  Imagine!!)

Practical
and Pretty.  (Those curtains hide tons of storage space.)

Fun
and Flirty.  (Just wait until you see the light fixture we made from an Easter basket!) 

And here comes the overload of photos
(mostly because I just adore this "new" space!)

A glimpse of the new light fixture, made out of an Easter basket with the handle removed and a hole drilled into the bottom!


We wanted a wire basket but didn't have one that was just right...this turned out pretty darn cute anyway!

Pin It


 I made some curtains out of some remnant fabric.  I love the pattern with the little tiny bit of teal and the pale yellow ribbons.

Pin It

So simple and easy to make.  I cut and hemmed the fabric about an inch wider than the window.  Then I stapled the fabric to a trim board that was just slightly narrower than the fabric and I pneumatically nailed the trim board to the wall above the window.  This window covering is just for appearances, it doesn't need to be closed.

Pin It

 We built a "counter top" over the washer and dryer.  Scott planed some old fence boards so it would be smooth and I rubbed it with some fairly dark stain.  We can't have everything in here white.  We just love our old wood.

My little ceramic fish is just perfect for holding my bleach pen.

My new thrifty friend, the pig...for loose change.  ;)
Some dryer sheets and the teal globe that Scott just wouldn't let me get rid of. 
It looks perfect right here! 

The lower shelving is a free cabinet that came from Craigslist. 
I tell you, my hubby is OBSESSED with free things!
Okay, I admit, it's hard to turn down a really good freebie.  :)
We are being thrifty!
Scott removed the doors and the horrid laminate that was on it and then primed and painted. 
I added a silver curtain rod and made some curtain panels to hide our cleaners and other miscellaneous stuff.
I think this fabric is kind of beachy, don't you?



Then came the upper wall shelves for some extra storage and display. 
These were old cabinet doors that Scott cut down to size and I put up with the wooden brackets that used to be in our son's room. 

Don't look too closely...those shelves still need another coat of paint...

The perfect spot for my .59 cent baskets found at a discount retailer. 
The clerk was certain it was a pricing mistake but finally gave in and let me take them home with me. 
I'm pretty convinced she wanted them for herself.  Bummer

And now for the accessories!!!


An uplifting quote.

 I put some of the leftover fabric from the curtain onto this cork board and framed it in with some turquoise ribbon.


Some "artwork" created from printouts that I put into frames...I love these.


Another inspiring free printable...you can find this one HERE  at http://houseandhone.blogspot.com/2012/01/this-year-i-will-printable.html.  There were other color options too.

Check out all the other fun stuff Miss Emily Hone has to offer while you're there!  This one is also in a thrift store frame.



 I filled my soup/salad server with faux lemons for a pop of color.  :)


The top shelf holds some of my favorite white ceramics. 
All of the ceramic fish dishes are thrift store finds from over the years. 
I finally found a place to display them!!!

Pin It


It's hard to get a photo of everything in this little room ~ this is as close as I came. 
We love our NEW AND IMPROVED LAUNDRY!

Pin It

Supplies/Sources/Cost:
Paint ~ freebie leftover from a previous project
Lower shelving unit ~ Craigslist freebie modified
Upper wall shelves ~ salvage freebie modified
Wall Brackets ~ already owned
Curtains on window and shelf ~ remnant fabric and ribbon from Joann's ~ $16 total
Counter over washer and dryer ~ salvaged wood ~ free
White baskets $1.18 ~ Wheeler Dealer in Woodburn, OR
White frames $2.97 ~ thrifted ~ GW
Silver galvanized bucket ~ Target dollar bins
Fish dishes ~ already owned ~ previous thrift store purchase
Printable ~ free
Laundry basket ~ freebie
PB Clock ~ already owned ~ previous thrift store purchase
Easter Basket ~ $3.99
All other miscellaneous items we already had on hand
Total Current Expense = Less than $25

And, of course, my reminder of just how BAD it was before and how much we had shoved into the space:


The Before:



AND AGAIN THE AFTER:

Pin It


Pin It


We don't have to talk about the garage now, do we???

Previous posts on this project can be found here:
http://ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-challenge.html
http://ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-challenge-take.html
http://ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-challenge-take_23.html
http://ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com/2012/01/gray-cloudy-and-wet-thats-forecast-in.html


Thanks for stopping by!  We hope you enjoyed your visit!  We would really LOVE IT if you wanted to follow along with us.  Follow by clicking Google Friend Connect on the sidebar or typing in your email address. You can even friend Pondered Primed Perfected on Facebook and Pinterest.

We love making new friends!!!




59 comments :

  1. How awesome, and cheery! you must smile from ear to ear now doing laundry! I will be working on mine soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you love your new look. The before and after is amazing. Great job...I know it was a whole lot of work but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It's beautiful:) You did a lot of work and it definitely paid off! I would love doing laundry in the room like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would almost make laundry fun! I love, love the basket light....so cute. Stop by anytime, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy, bright and beautiful in a laundry room is just not expected... but it's gorgeous! i'm sure this will inspire many to start a redo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. darling! love the cabinet skirt cover and the basket light fixture. looking forward to seeing you link up tomorrow for the "Impossibility Challenge" party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sherry it is gorgeous!!!!! Absolutely amazing, what a transformation.... xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  8. CUTE! CUTE!! I love the transformation. What a fun idea for a lamp shade to use a basket. This is stunning! Thanks for linking up to t2t Tuesday at Sassy Sites!

    marni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this laundry room! I just popped over from the A to Z link party and I'm so happy I did. I don't know what it is about laundry rooms, but I just think that they are so much better when they're pretty!! Mission accomplished, Sherry!!

    xo Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your laundry room looks amazing, and so pretty. I love the open shelving and the little pops of colour !

    ReplyDelete
  11. how wonderful! Love it all. And what an appropriate scripture for a laundry room! :) Talk about a dramatic before and after!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job--so many nice touches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! fabulous job! i adore it!!!! a big congrats to you for achieving your impossible! whooooohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I come to your house to do my laundry?!? Thanks so much for sharing at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherry.....very very nice! I love how bright it is and how you have decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sherry - This. Is. Awesome! I love all of the details. The piggy bank is so cute! And practical. I love all of the word art - I, too, love that your detergent fits in your color scheme. I love the fabrics. Such a wonderful space - I'll send you my laundry. ;)

    Thank you so much for linking up to the challenge!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  17. You won't be needing that "Laundry today...naked tomorrow" sign as I can see you will be up to snuff on the laundry. Who wouldn't be in that gorgeous laundry room! And I love your breakdown of costs as it clearly shows it is possible! I too love that little teal globe and that salad server is gorgeous and you're right...it needs it's own special spot to be shown off. It looks great there along with the lemons. I could go on and on but I need to go work on my projects now as you've made me feel like a slug with all you've accomplished!
    Amazing work you two! Great job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow big difference! This is giving me inspiration for me to do something to my laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful room! I just finished mine, so I agree - it's amazing how much joy can come from spiffing up your little laundry room!! :)

    I LOVE your Create in me print. I'm going to have to make one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a transformation! Certainly would inspire me to want to do laundry! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your laundry room looks so bright, clean, and cheery! Great job.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know you are a rockstar, right? But that basket lamp is PERFECTION! Congratulations! You conquered your "impossible!" Thanks for linking up at the party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I can't believe the transformation! It looks so great now!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a transformation! So many great details that all work together! Visiting from Overflowing linky party. Best, My

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this looks amazing! We're going to be doing our laundry room soon so thank you for the inspiration! I love the white shelves, so beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The transformation is amazing! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing redo. Love the imagination for wasteless decorating. Now your laundry can just about lose the title of chore and be a pleasure just relaxing as you do your laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think you accomplished all your goals - it looks terrific. I love the counter!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can only imagine how delightful it must be to do the laundry (smile). I'm now a new follower, please drop for a visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ahhhh super duper cute - GREAT transformation.

    Linky Party Now Open if you'd like to come over to play! xo

    www.northerncottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm coming over to do my laundry! Love that basket turned light - fantastic idea! The wooden countertop is beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up to the Challenge.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  33. love the look it is awesome come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. So many nice touches for a laundry room--I think doing laundry could be fun in this room! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great work on the laundry room. Love the bushel basket used as a light fixture!

    ReplyDelete
  36. SO nice! Makes me anxious to start on our laundry room. Not only organized, but it is pretty and decorated, too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great job - quite a transformation. It looks really pulled together now - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, you have totally inspired me. You did an incredible job. I love how sunny it is. This would make me want to do laundry more often...seriously. You totally outdid your self. I would love it if you would share this at our linky party. Hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mission Possible! What a lovely laundry room you have created! You are wrong ... it is magazine worthy!

    Thanks so much for joining our Impossibilities challenge!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a beautiful transformation! Wow! Your DIY details add so much charm - it's one of the sweetest laundry rooms ever! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great makeover. What a difference from dark to light and bright. Love the added pops of color and that light is great.

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW!!! I am loving this makeover. I'm such a fan of bright whites with some natural wood and a few bright pieces here and there. And I LOVE that scripture for a laundry room!!! Totally need to use that one :) Thanks for inspiring... pinned it!
    blessings,
    lauren @ www.summitstreetjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very pretty! You hard work paid off! Thank you for sharing your lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful transformation! I bet it makes laundry so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  45. You've done a lovely job and should be proud of yourself - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That laundry basket light is over-the-top GREAT! The whole room is great! Another highly successful project. Thanks for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love it!! Thanks so much for linking up...Lisa Leonard Designs giveaway just started on my blog!! Stop by if you haven't entered yet...


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  48. I thought I could hear angels singing when I compared the new to the old! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, what a transformation! It looks so good. I love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sherry,

    I featured you today! Come on by and grab a button ...

    http://itallstartedwithpaint.com

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love it! If you have a laundry-room-warming party, can I come? Our LR is really tiny.. it shares the space with our furnace & hot water heater. But I am still in the planning stages (in my head) of what I am going to come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your Laundry Room looks great!!! I think we have the same Washer and Dryer (GE) , and I have a question for you. I see that you (or your husband) put a wooden counter over the washer and dryer. Love that idea!! My question is, does your washer ever move around and bump the sides?? I would love to have a wooden counter like yours but I am concerned that my washer won't stay in place. Have you had any problems?? Thanks for your time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie! Thanks for stopping at our blog! I love that washer and dryer. Occasionally it gets a load unbalanced and does a little bit of banging. Generally it stays in it's place though. Scott says it should have a half inch of "movement" in it...but beyond that and it's probably off balance. Maybe the feet need to be adjusted or something? The "counter" we built over it was actually built with a bit of a clearance. It's supported with brackets attached to the wall. I made sure Scott knew that if there was any kind of issue or problem with the machines or the plumbing we would need to be able to move them out quickly with little trouble. He was very good about making that part of the plan. I have a post that shows the structure of the "counter" being built. Scott did this base structure and I added the smoothed fence boards on with a nail gun. If you haven't seen that earlier post it is here: http://ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com/2012/01/gray-cloudy-and-wet-thats-forecast-in.html I think the picture in this post shows that there are several inches of clearance above the washer and dryer. I've just put a board on the front to disguise this.

      I hope this helps! I absolutely love having the counter. We thought we would like them stacked but it was a disaster...they blocked all the light both from the window and the light fixture. And there wasn't any surface to set anything or fold. This is sooooo much better.

      Sherry

      Delete
  53. Great job on your laundry room makeover!

    ReplyDelete