-

1/20/12

The Well Stocked Pantry ~ P{3} Style


If you are tired of hearing about closets and pantries you might just want to skip this one...

I don't have any other fun, finished projects to share.  Tons of unfinished projects, but I'll bet you are getting pretty tired of seeing those.  I know I am.  Yes, I am talking to you as if I have a regular following here for my (not so) daily dose of DIY goodness.  HA!  I pretty much feel like a blog failure.  I'm kinda joking, but not totally.  It's all for fun.  But, if you don't mind, I am going to continue on with my illusions...
Since we are working on this big, seemingly never-ending purging, organizing, building, and decorating project, I have a serious shortage of spare time.  Not that I had much to begin with.  And I've been kind of cranky.  Yeah, that's right.  My desire for chocolate, wine, and escaping to a quiet room with a good book has increased lately.  If only it happened regularly!!!  (All, of course, after the kids have gone home for the day). 

Previous posts about the under stair closet space here and here and here.

I have compiled a list of pantry items to help me with this organizing ordeal we've taken on.  Haha.  There are a few cooking and homemaking websites with more specialized "well stocked pantry" lists.  They all have nice lists.  Each had items that, in my book were keepers, and some not so necessary items.  So, I compiled my own ~ based on what we use as a family, and the types of meals and snacks we like to have on hand.  This list would probably be different for your family.  I encourage you to create your own list.  Or copy this and delete what you don't need and add what you do.  Use this as an organizing tool when you set up your pantry space (look at me assuming everyone else has a disorganized pantry, like myself).  It really comes in handy to know what items you need dedicated space for, when you are doing your space planning. 


A "pantry" is simply a storage space for Non-perishable food items.   It is what you make of it:


Pin It
It doesn't matter if it is a built in closet:
via iheartorganizing.blogspot.com via pinterest


A cabinet inside of your kitchen:
via Pinterest for iphone

A free-standing cabinet:
via inspirationfordecoration.blogspot.com via pinterest


You can create your own with a kitchen cart:
via bhg.com via Pinterest


Or a shelf (I like this crate shelf personally):
via cgi.ebay.com.au via Pinterest


Cover it with a curtain if you don't like the open shelf look. 

It doesn't take a lot of money, or a grand built-in, walk-in pantry, to have an attractive and functional pantry space.    What is most important is that it is conveniently located close to your kitchen, and it contains the items you need on a regular basis. 

Here is the Pantry list I've compiled for our family: 

Pin It
Non-perishable Pantry Items

Seasonings, Sauces and Condiments
Balsamic vinegar
BBQ Sauce
Beef Bouillon Granules
Chicken Bouillon Granules
Cooking sherry
Hot sauce
Ketchup
Mustard
Onion Soup Mix
Ranch Dressing Mix
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce
Taco Seasoning Mix
Teriyaki Sauce
Tomato Bouillon (granules or cubes for HM Spanish Rice, Taco Meat Seasoning & much more)
Vinegar (Cider, Rice & Red Wine)
White cooking wine
Worcestershire Sauce
(You might want to add whatever spices, extracts and seasonings your family uses regularly...I keep my cooking spices in the kitchen, next to the stove, so I did not list them all here.)
Baking Needs
Almond Extract
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Bread Crumbs (regular and Panko)
Confectioner's Sugar
Corn Meal
Corn Syrup
Cornstarch
Evaporated Milk
Flour (all purpose and self-rising)
Honey
Jell-O packages (miscellaneous sizes and flavors for fruit salads)
Non-stick cooking spray
Olive Oil
Rolled oats
Stuffing Mix
Sugar (granulated, confectioners, brown)
Vanilla Extract
Vegetable Oil
Beans
Pinto beans
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Red Beans
Re fried Beans
White Navy Beans
Fruit
Applesauce
Cranberries, dried
Fruit Cups (if you have children or don't like to shop often)
Pineapple, Crushed
Raisins
Miscellaneous
Coffee
Guest Crackers (crackers for Hors d'Oeuvres)
Graham Crackers
Nutella
Peanut Butter
Pretzels
Snack Crackers (Goldfish, Ritz, Wheat Thins)
Tea bags
Pasta and Rice
Egg Noodles
Elbow Macaroni
Fettuccine
Penne Pasta
Rice (brown, calrose, instant, wild)
Rice Noodles 
Spaghetti Noodles
Produce
Onions
Potatoes
Vegetables (Canned)
Creamed Corn
Green Beans
Jalapeno peppers
Mushroom Pieces
Pimientos
Roasted Red Peppers
Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
Tomatoes (crushed, diced, sauce, and paste)
Water chestnuts, sliced
Other Canned Goods
Broth or Stock (beef, chicken, vegetable, tomato)
Chili
Coconut Milk (for Thai dishes)
Cream Soups
Enchilada Sauce, red and green (my family prefers green)
Green Chilies, diced
Salsa
Pasta Sauces (Spaghetti Sauce, Alfredo Sauce, Pesto)
Tuna
Paper & Plastic
Coffee Filters
Heavy Duty Foil
Plastic Wrap
Wax Paper
Parchment Paper
Plastic Baggies (Freezer and Storage, several different sizes)
Paper Plates
Napkins
Paper Towels


If you are working on a purge and organization project of your own, I would love to hear about it!  Leave a comment or even a link to your photos or post!

Thanks for stopping by,

Sherry

3 comments :

  1. Yep...I'm right there with you...I call mine "cleaning and clearing" but I need to add purging for sure or my house is going to explode one of these days! And don't worry about whether people post or not....look at all your followers and check your stats...I bet there are LOTS that are visiting but just not posting. Give it time...I don't get too many either but I really do it for myself anyway...it's like a journal and it makes me feel like what I do really matters. (Can you tell I haven't had much recognition in my life? LOL!) I live alone except for my 2 "girls" (canines) and my phone never rings but I have learned to love my life and myself and I am joy-filled every day! But, I must admit, I am not out there in the work world anymore either which makes it a lot easier to be joy-filled!
    As for the pantry...that's a wonderful thing and I've had one for years as I lived out in the country for many years and you couldn't just "run to the store" for something easily. You're very organized and give yourself a pat on the back...it's not easy just BREATHE and as someone once told me..."sit down in the boat"
    I think you need some of that "crack bark"....there's a recipe on Pinterest somewhere and I plan on making it today (yeah right...BIG plans every day that don't get done! Ha! Ha!) but I will get you the recipe somehow, someway! I was going to post about it too but it sounds like you might need it right away! LOL!
    I always have a list of a zillion things I want to get done in a day and I get to feeling like a failure and overwhelmed so then I sit down and make a list of what I DID get done and I am always surprised and it makes me feel better!
    Make it a great day and most of all ENJOY it and make yourself some "crack bark"...they call it that because it is so addictive! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that crate shelf! I don't get tired of organizing :) I love to hear new ideas.
    I need all the help I can get LOL!
    Sherry's Bees Nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the crate shelf, too. Don't currently have space for one, though we do have some crates to start one with and are keeping our eyes out for more. I enjoy your blog by email and read every one, so in my eyes, you do have a following. I think I have 29 followers, and I'm not daily with my posts either, but keep on keeping on. I don't remember if you're one, if not come see me, I hope to post today. Janet craftythriftydecoratingwifemom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete