-

1/22/12

Pretty Little Pie Shelf


BEFORE


I bought this "bad boy" at a community-wide yard sale last summer.  I call it a pie shelf.  I really don't know if it is considered a pie shelf?  I think it was made to look like one.  It's not a vintage piece, though. 

It was ten dollars.  I talked them down.  ;) 

The fact that it takes up mostly vertical space is a big plus in my book.  'Cause it gets a little crowded around here at times. 



Some pale green paint...it went on right over the blue. 

AFTER



Distressing with an electric palm sander gave it this effect: 



I yanked off the vinyl "tiles" that screamed "COUNTRY".
See what I mean?


Some real ceramic tiles went in to replace them.  The tiles were a roadside freebie.  Nice Score.

Then some OXO stickers, for a little bit of hugging and kissing.  These will come off after Valentines Day and be replaced with something more permanent.  I think.  I know you probably didn't hear a word I wrote...you are too busy looking at that quadruple chocolate loaf cake (recipe by Nigella Lawson).  It is to-die-for delicious!  You can find the recipe hereI think I may be a chocolate addict.


The knobs went back on...only until I can find the perfect replacements.  We're on a spending freeze.


A few of my favorite accessories have been added:
Pale green mixing bowl ~ LOVE!  Thrifted
Ceramic Cake Stand.  From Santa 2010
Chocolate Cake Plate (What can I say?)


Our new "honey" pot in white ceramics.  Thrifted
White Heart Cutout Bowl.  Thrifted


Pin It
Check out that fancy bottle.  That's a lucky find.  I made a couple of them into lamps.  You can see them here.


Pin It


I'm very happy with how it turned out.  I don't know what I'll end up replacing the OXO with.  And new knobs will look nice, too.  I just needed to do something a little more fun than purging and organizing for awhile.  Although getting that done will be nice too!


Hugs to you!

Sherry



28 comments :

  1. ooh I love that little piece. great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I know I am a chocolate addict! Isn't that the first step to recovery? Adorable Pie shelf! XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love the new colors and how you've dressed her!
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have this in my NW PA kitchen, any chance????
    Obviously I really like what you've done and it makes me think that my hubby and I could build something similar. I have a narrow space of wall where it would fit perfectly. You've given me an idea, I'm sure my guy will be thrilled to see your photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, and the things you have so close to the floor. I can't wait for my boys to get older so all of the glass isn't 5 feet off the ground :) You should join me for Handmade 52 http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/2012/01/handmade-52-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are truly amazing...quit being so hard on yourselves! I was feeling pretty good about my piddly accomplishments until I saw yours! LOL! I love the laundry room built in...You Go Scott! And the $10.00 pie safe? Get out! I've spent more than that and gotten much less! That's a darling piece of furniture and what you did to it is great. After Valentine's Day maybe you could put some spring flowers or birds on those tiles or Graphics Lady has some great vintage stuff for free? It amazes me how you coordinate things like the x's and o's and then the honey pot and the chocolate kisses...you are very creative and put a lot of thought into everything you do.
    And although I am not a chocoholic (for some reason I missed the chocolate and candy gene) that cake looks luscious and if it's from Nigella then for sure it is!
    I am as slow as snail doo-doo around here but I keep trudging along and you 2 inspire me! Tell Scott that he needs to do consulting (for a fee) online through Skype for people like me who want to do it themselves but haven't a clue! Ha! Ha! Have a great week and like Ellen says...."be kind to one another".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! A perfect color and I'm loving all your little display pieces. Thanks for linking up to Sass's Sunday Salvation Show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've gotten a lot done in a really short time. Pinned your little "pie shelf". Be proud of your accomplishments, especially if you, fellow chocoholic, don't add a ton of weight from the chocolate stress-releiver, reward, all around life source, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry this is such a great makeover. I love the color of the shelf and the cute accessories you added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is adorable! i love the size and shape, too- so useful and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo lala! Love it! And $10?! That's my kind of deal. Hey, I think the OXO is cool even if it's not Valentines day.... but that's just me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this colour!Way better than the blue. You did a great job keep it up:)
    Love Jem

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pie safe, I have a small home so always look for vertical options in cabinets. Less than $10, you were lucky, it has a really great shape, it may not be old but gives and old feeling. I like the oxo, but you can change it out anytime you want. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loveee it! All of your white porcelain/ceramic has me so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is soo crazy cute! I love the Xs & Os on top & the little things you put in it are lovely. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are rockin' the re-do's! Love that color and the tiles you chose to replace those old ones! I am your newest follower. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty! It has so much character and I love the shade of green that you painted it! It looks new but aged at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it! Cute, simple and functional.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the green with a little blue showing through - really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. adorable! I want one ♥ love the green color and your cake looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So adorable!! Thanks for linking up! Have you registered for my giveaway?

    Ramsign Giveaway: Porcelain Enamel Sign {up to $99 value}

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing transformation. Love the color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Awesome job! I love the "after"!! Thanks for sharing at the Crazy Cute party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! Great job!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com

    ReplyDelete